But in the modern market, there are apps designed for every aspect of life with a rise in apps specifically as dashcams.
There are now many different dashcam apps available, but not all of them are created equal. Some are more feature-rich than others, some are easier to use, and some simply offer better value for the money.
As the dashcam experts, here at Viofo, we’ve looked at the best dashcam apps of 2022 to see how they compare to each other and how they compare to a real dashcam.
Advantages of using an app:
Cost – Apps are usually a lot cheaper than dedicated dashcams. This is because you’re not paying for the hardware, just the software.
Ease of use – Most people are already familiar with using apps on their phones, so there’s often no learning curve involved in using a dashcam app.
Flexibility – Dashcam apps can be used on any smartphone, so you’re not locked into using a specific brand or model.
Features – Some apps offer features that dedicated cheaper dashcams don’t, such as GPS tracking, speed alerts, and parking mode.
Disadvantages of using an app:
Battery life – One of the biggest problems with using a phone as a dashcam is that it can quickly drain the battery.
Storage – Phone storage can fill up quickly if you’re constantly recording video, usually with the app itself taking up a lot of room.
Distractions – Since you’re using your phone as a dashcam, it can be tempting to check notifications or use other apps while driving. This is obviously very dangerous and should be avoided at all costs.
Mounting – It can be tricky to mount your phone in a way that allows you to use the dashcam app effectively. Dedicated dashcams usually come with mounts that are specifically designed for them.
Best dashcam apps
- Vava Dash Cam: This app offers great value for the money, with a wide range of features and an easy-to-use interface.
- Car Camera DVR. Pro: This app provides high-quality resolution and FPS with 12 languages supported but is not a free app and misses some key features.
- Smart Dash Cam: This free app is a must-have for anyone that is looking for additional storage options, such as cloud storage but does come with ads.
- Nexar AI: This app gives you an incident report template as well as GPS tracking but it drains the phone battery drastically.
Physical dashcams over apps
Ultimately a proper dashcam, like our T130-3 Channel Dashcam, is far more superior than an app for several reasons:
- Reliability – Our dashcams are designed specifically for use in cars, so they’re much more reliable than apps and are designed to be mounted specifically for that one use.
- Battery life – Dashcams don’t rely on your phone’s battery, so you don’t have to worry about it running out mid-journey.
- Video quality – Dashcams usually record at higher resolutions than phones, so you’ll get better video quality with a dedicated device. Most of our cameras are fitted with infrared night vision for superior quality when driving in the dark.
- Easy to use – Most dashcams are very easy to use, with dedicated buttons and menus that are simple to navigate.
- Discounts – Many insurers offer discounts and lower premium rates if you have a dashcam installed in your car.
Overall, dedicated dashcams are still the better option over an app when it comes to capturing video while driving.
Our dashcams here at Viofo are purpose-built for this task. They offer features and performance that simply can’t be matched by an app on your phone. Many features that our dashcams possess include loop recording, GPS tracking, collision detection and high-quality footage.
If you’d like to know more about our dash cams, how to fit them, or have any other queries, please get in touch. We also have a useful guide on common dashcam queries. A member of our team will be happy to help you.